Got data? You do now, thanks to Ford.
Ford of Europe today published what it says is a "ground-breaking" Product Sustainability Index (PSI) report, a first for the automotive industry. The PSI report is meant to show the way Ford is greening up its production facilities and specifically highlights the new Ford Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy vehicles. Taking what it's learned from making these vehicles, Ford of Europe will integrate PSI thinking into all of its future models.
Ford uses the PSI to keep track of eight product attributes:
- life cycle global warming potential (mainly carbon dioxide emissions)
- life cycle air quality potential (other air emissions)
- use of sustainable materials (recycled and renewable materials)
- substance management (including TÜV allergy-tested interior certification)
- exterior noise impact (drive-by noise)
- safety (for occupants and pedestrians)
- mobility capability (seat and luggage capacity relative to vehicle size)
- life cycle ownership costs (full costs for the customer over the first three years)