Click the X6 for a high-res gallery
At the Frankfurt Motor Show today, BMW finally took the camo off their latest crossover and in the process showed off their first application of the Two-Mode hybrid system they have been co-developing with General Motors, Daimler and Chrysler. The X6 is a different look for BMW cross-overs, eschewing the traditional four door wagon SUV look for a more coupe-like hatch back profile.
As expected, the X6 will be the first BMW with the Two-Mode hybrid. Back in January at the Detroit show, a BMW spokesman told us the hybrid would go into a new model and although BMW is officially calling this a concept, it's known that the X6 will be built in their Spartanburg South Carolina plant alongside the X5 and X3. The hybrid setup is expected to improve fuel efficiency by twenty percent.
Update: The press release has been updated with the official English language version from BMW
Related GalleryFrankfurt 2007: BMW X6 Two-Mode hybrid
HYBRID TECHNOLOGY WITH SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE. THE BMW CONCEPT X6 ACTIVITHYBRID.
BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid.
Unique and Only from BMW:
Hybrid Technology with Sheer Driving Pleasure.
BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid. page 5
Description in Brief.
- World debut of BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid - combining significant enhancement of
efficiency with Sheer Driving Pleasure so typical of BMW.
- The close and direct link of concepts combining the new Sports Activity Coupé with
innovative BMW ActiveHybrid technology ensures an authentic match of design and
technology in every respect. The potential of BMW's ActiveHybrid system develops its
optimum effect in the unique concept of the Sports Activity Coupé. This holistic, all-round
approach sets the stage for an all-new driving experience.
- The BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid, the BMW in the world of hybrid cars.
- BMW ActiveHybrid is far superior to conventional hybrid vehicles in terms of driving
dynamics. Its fuel consumption and emission ratings are up to 20 per cent better than on a
comparable car with conventional drivetrain technology.
- The combination with innovative hybrid technology offers the most
sporting and dynamic rendition of a BMW X Car. Design language typical of BMW takes up
the superior driving dynamics of the Sports Activity Coupé and visualises this superiority
through authentic design and a unique look. Indeed, the extravagant design of the body
combines the sporting elegance of a BMW Coupé with the striking DNA of BMW X and
provides a clear reference to the innovative drive concept.
- The driving experience in BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid corresponds
to the character of a typical BMW based on supreme dynamism and performance on the
road. The car responds directly, spontaneously and with outstanding precision to the driver's
commands, offering the driver perfect feedback at all times through touch effects and
acoustic signals, like on a car with a conventional combustion engine.
- BMW ActiveHybrid is a particular highlight of BMW EfficientDynamics, BMW's trendsetting
development strategy for today's world. Introducing this technology, BMW is taking the next
step in the ongoing reduction
of fuel consumption and emissions. BMW ActiveHybrid is based on
a modular concept following the strategy of "Best of Hybrid" to integrate the most
appropriate, optimum components in each case in different concepts.
- Interacting with the two-mode active transmission, the concept, through electrical support,
offers two operating modes, one for setting off and driving at low speeds, one for higher
speeds. This ensures optimum use of the torque generated as a function of driving
- The innovative two-mode active transmission allows variable power transmission via the
power split incorporating planetary gearsets. In addition, the active transmission incorporates
an electric drive system and enables the vehicle to drive at fixed transmission ratios within
one system. This combines the driving dynamics and efficiency of the combustion engine
and the electric drive system in an innovative, intelligent manner.
- The powerful presence of the car's body forms an ideal match with the flat, sleek flow of the
greenhouse roofline. Indeed, this flowing roofline
is a characteristic feature of the car's coupé silhouette, just like the short front overhang, the
long wheelbase and the long rear overhang.
- In its design, BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid boasts all the DNA and genes so characteristic
of the BMW X philosophy. The visual balance of the front and rear wheels to be admired
clearly from the side makes a clear reference to BMW xDrive, BMW's intelligent all-wheel-
- The second element dominating the design of the body is the clear orientation to the wheels,
the muscular wheel arches and the large wheels clearly bearing testimony to the stable
position and roadholding of the car.
- The dynamically rising contour line at the side and the growing distance between the
shoulder and the sill-line as the vehicle moves back create a dynamic wedge shape.
- The striking front view with a clear focus on the vehicle's width again provides the typical look
of a BMW X car further emphasised by the extra-large BMW kidney grille also serving as the
air intake with its robust slats.
- The engine compartment lid comes with clearly shaped contours sub-divided by sharp lines
and tapering towards the BMW kidney grille, as well as a powerful curvature at the top with
that striking BMW powerdome.
- Through their unique shape and design, the D-pillars provide a clear expression of power and
stability. The innovative design of the rear lights, in turn, emphasises the sheer width of the
car, while horizontal lines highlight the wide track.
- The underfloor protection panels front and rear are made of brushed aluminium, the rear
underfloor panel moving out when required and covering the tailpipes on BMW Concept X6
ActiveHybrid while driving on electric power only.
- Door cutout trim with blue stripes and the name "BMW ActiveHybrid" clearly refer to the
unique drive concept of this equally unique vehicle. The light colour of the body, in turn, forms
a clear contrast to the dark window graphics, and the 21-inch wheels come in innovative,
three-dimensional rim design.